Wednesday, September 30, 2009

39 girls do Northern England-Day 1, York


Bronte Sisters House

Today we left for our big week of traveling. We were up and at 'em at 6am, and out the door at 7am. Abs, Annie, Cath, and I snagged the back row of the bus (with a seat to spare!) and quickly made ourselves comfortable for the long ride. After a long 3 hour drive/nap we arrived at the Bronte sister's house. These three sisters are known for their books such as Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. Surprisingly I haven't read either of them, but I am definitely going to now. It was neat to see where they lived and wrote their famous novels. We were there just an hour or so and then we were on our way to Yorkshire.

York Minster

When we arrived in Yorkshire we went directly to York Minster. It is a huge cathedral. I actually came here last year on my Europe trip '08, but it was much more informative this time around. We had a tour guide take us through the entire building and show us what each room meant and tell us about all the history involved with it. I really enjoyed it. I learned that one of their stain glass windows is the largest in the world. It was getting redone at the time, but looks like it will be spectacular. I wish I could be there to see it when it's complete. After our tour we climbed to the top of the tower. It was freezing, but totally worth it and then we stayed for Evensong. That was a cool experience as well. From there we were sent to go find some dinner and a group of us ended up at McDonald's. It tasted so good. All i really need in life is a Happy Meal with chicken mcnuggets to make me happy...not to mention the toy and ice cream cone I got to top it off! When we finished our luxurious meal we headed to our first hostel. It was actually pretty nice. I roomed with Lauren, Sarah, and Si Cong. There was a common room just down the hall so a bunch of us ended up watching Friends on TV. The episode that Annie and I quote nonstop was on ("You're from Yonkers...your last name is Bufumonteezee!") so it really was the perfect ending to our first day!


On top of York Minster!

No comments:

Post a Comment