Wednesday, September 30, 2009

39 girls do Northern England-Day 3, Dove Cottage and Hilltop Farm

 


Dove Cottage
This morning we got up, packed up, and headed to Dove Cottage, the home of William Wordsworth. Professor Paxman had read us a few poems by him so it was cool to be in his home and see where he wrote his plays. We were given a guided tour and then were free to wander through the museum and the garden. We were told to be on the bus at 11:15am so we were careful to be on time. Nicole and Brooke, however, weren't as careful and we actually left them behind! I never thought we would actually do that, but clearly I was wrong. We later found out they walked 3 hours to our next hostel. It was kind of funny, but I felt pretty bad about it.





After we left Dove Cottage (and 2 of our girls) we went on a country drive through the Lake District. It was really pretty, but those windy roads were not doing us any good. I was beyond ready to get off the coach when we finished. I think everyone felt the same way. A group of us decided to go to Hilltop Farm aka Beatrix Potter's home. We took a ferry across the lake and then while waiting for our shuttle were fed random snacks by the cute Evans'. I love Professor Evans and his wife Jaelyn. They take such good care of us. I would have gone hungry that day without them.


Hilltop Farm

Hilltop farm was a lot of fun. We saw Beatrix Potter's house and had fun wandering through her gardens. We even saw Peter and Flopsy hopping through the forrest! Not even kidding. A bunch of us bought The Tale of Peter Rabbit in the bookshop as a fun memorabilia. Afterwards Courtney, Cath, and I went on a walk with Jaelyn. She is so sweet. We all just love chatting with her. It was a really gorgeous walk too. I could not get over how green the grass is up there. It's seriously incredible. We were a little chilled so we had some hot cocoa before heading back to our hostel.


Our Family Portrait

This hostel was again satisfactory. I had an amazing view of the lake from my window, and I was in a two person room with Sarah. Courtney, Cath, and I decided to walk to the nearest town just to get out and move around. It was really great. We just window shopped and chatted about life. When we got back we had dinner and started watching You've Got Mail in Cath's room, but of course everyone ended up falling asleep. It was a great day!




Hostel Life

No comments:

Post a Comment