Sunday, October 25, 2009

Rock on! (no pun intended)




For our day trip this week we went to Stonhenge, Stourhead, and Bath. Because I took so many pictures and have so much to say I've decided to do each place separately. Place #1 is Stonehenge. I absolutely loved it. I've heard that it can seem pretty anti-climatic, but I thought it was anything but that. Yes, as we drove up it was literally sitting on the side of the road, and yes it is a lot smaller than you would think, but those paled in comparison to what I actually saw. These rocks have been standing there for thousands of years, and not only have they been standing there, they were put there! It is seriously beyond my comprehension.
When we first got there it was lightly sprinkling and we were getting worried (we had been promised good weather), but once we made it to the actual stones the sun came out and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. It was slightly misty and slightly sunny all at the same time. Catherine was extremely disappointed to discover that you can't actually walk up and touch the stones, but she made the best of it. You can walk all around them at a good 50 foot or so distance, so you know we made the best of that. Annie, Laura, and I were having fun coming up with reasons as to why the stones were put there. Religion? Slavery? Super powers? No reason at all? Who knows! I decided it could be one of the first things I want to find out about when I get to Heaven. It certainly proved to be a fun place to take pictures though! We did a few jumpers, a few interpretive, and a few "rock on" (no pun intended) shoots. I honestly didn't want to leave. It was one of those places that I could sit and stare at for hours and never get any closer to the reason behind it.
I'm so glad we went there and I got to see, and experience the mystery that is Stonehenge!














No comments:

Post a Comment