Friday, November 27, 2009

Paris: Practically Perfect in Every Way, Day 3





Today was a really great day in Paris. The weather was perfect and we managed to cram in everything we had planned to do. Lauren and I started the day by checking out of our lovely hotel and meeting Laura, Ann, and Abs to take our bags to Cath's parent's hotel. Our group was leaving that day and we weren't so they said they'd store our bags for us. After we dropped them off we hopped on the Metro and headed for the Musee D'Orsay. It is probably my very favorite museum that I've ever been to. I love all of the art inside of it. It has work by Van Gogh, Monet, Renoir, and my favorite, Degas. The sculpture of the young ballet dancer that Degas did is my very favorite piece of art. I just love everything about it, so I was really happy that we got to see it. After we had seen most of the museum we decided to head over to Notre Dame. On the way there we picked up the best crepes of all time. I'm not kidding. I don't think I've ever tasted something so delicious. It was a lunch crepe with chicken and cheese on it. Now while that may sound pretty basic to some of you don't knock it till you try it. It seriously hit the spot in every way possible and I could not have been happier. When we were done with our lunch we headed to Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is such a cool landmark in Paris. We had a really fun time there. When we first got there we decided to take a group picture and as were posing I heard someone come up behind me and say, "You're going to think I'm so weird for this...". I was a little nervous for a second, but when I turned around it was Dr. Soper. I started laughing so hard. He cracks me up. His whole family was there with him so we decided to get a "planned" shot with them. After that humorous moment we decided to climb the tower first. I never realize how high these towers are when I choose to climb them. Every time I get to the top I'm always huffing and puffing. Ann made the comment that Quasi should've been in better shape, and I agree 100%. Disney wasn't accurate about that for sure. When we got to the top it was worth all that heavy breathing. The view was amazing. You could see the whole city and the Eiffel Tower and Sacre-couer. I was loving all the gargoyles too. It's such an interesting structure when you look at all the details included on it. We also got to see the huge bell as well. When I say huge, I mean HUGE too. It took 16 fully grown men to ring it! However, Ann and I felt like if we were hunchbacks we could push it too, no problem. When we got back to the bottom we walked through the inside and then headed to Saint Chapelle.




Saint Chapelle was really cool as well. When you walk in the entire wall is just made of stain glass. I was honestly in awe. The colors and pictures were so detailed, it was unbelievable. Apparently the entire thing tells the story of the Bible from beginning to end. I can't imagine the amount of time and detail that would take. I enjoyed just sitting there for a minute and admiring the glass. I've never seen anything like that before, and I doubt I will ever see something like it again. It was truly a beautiful site.


After that we decided to head to the Rodin Museum. However, first we had to say goodbye to Lauren. She was heading back to London with the rest of the group while we were staying. I wish she could've stayed with us! The Rodin Museum was really cool. I found it to be quite the pleasant surprise. We first walked through the gardens and then the inside. We had a lot of fun in the garden. First we saw "The Thinker". It was a really cool site. I've always heard about it, but to see it up close was amazing. We had fun impersonating the sculptures throughout and doing some funny interviews too. It was just the most beautiful day you couldn't help but be happy. The inside of the museum had some impressive sculptures as well. I really liked his other famous sculpture, "The Kiss". I'm just so happy we decided to take the time to go to that museum!




Next Stop? La' Oragerie. (I told you it was a busy day.) I went to that museum last summer and loved it. It contains some really cool Monet panel paintings. I love them. The colors and images are so pretty. I just enjoyed sitting down for a minute and admiring his brushstrokes and details. We weren't there for very long, but it was just the right amount of time. From there we strolled up the Champs Elysees, picked up some bon bons, and talked about a possible trip to EuroDisney the next day.



To end the night we climbed to the top of the Arc de Triomphe. It was really fun and really cool. I love the view from the top of the Arc. It's so cool to look down and see how all the streets span out from it. It's like a huge and magnificent star. It was pretty cold up there so we didn't last too long, but it was still a good time. We were clearly tired by this time, and I think we deserved to be, so we decided to head back to the hotel. Because it was technically a room for 2 and there were 5 of us we had to be sneaky. Ann and I snuck in together and the others followed soon after. We spent the night watching Gossip Girl on Cath's computer and falling asleep pretty quickly. It was a jam packed, super busy, totally fun, and perfect day!

No comments:

Post a Comment