Sunday, November 1, 2009

P.S. I Love You Ireland, Day 4


Day 4, Powers Court and Trinity College

For our last day in Ireland we decided to hit up 2 major landmarks. The first one was Powers Court. To get there we had to take a train and a bus. The train ride was beautiful. It was sunny outside and it took us right along the coast so the ocean looked beautiful. When we got off at our station we hopped on the bus and it dropped us off right at Power Court. This place is a huge estate with a mansion, garden, golf course, and a Ritz Carlton. Our main reason of going was to see the gardens. They were beautiful. There were trees, and lakes, and fountains, and hedges, and flowers, and leaves, and green grass...the list goes on and on. On top of all that were the vibrant fall colors that made it all that more stunning. We took our time wandering around the grounds. The lake was beautiful, there was an amazing Chinese garden, and we even ran into a Dog Graveyard. I definitely had to check it out. It was adorable. There were dogs buried there named Fluffy, Butch, Spot, etc, and each stone had a small tribute to them. It was great. I dedicate my time there to my family, and all our dogs.







We stopped at the gift shop before we left and Laura and I shared the most delicious treat ever. We both love shortbread and so we decided to get a chocolate shortbread ghost, covered in white chocolate frosting. It was unreal. I've never had chocolate shortbread before, but now I want to have it all the time! On our way out I decided that my parents need to come stay here at the Ritz Carlton (Dad, take notes). It would be perfect because they could stay there, play golf, take the train into Dublin, go on tours of the country, and just have a great time. I know I want to do that someday. When we got to the train station we had a few minutes before our train left so we wandered down to the beach. It was an unexpected stop, but a really fun one. The beach was beautiful. I already love beaches so I was excited, but we got there right when the sky was blue and the sun was shining so it felt like a perfect moment. I'm so glad our train was late so we had the chance to do that.



When we got back to Dublin we decided to take a tour of Trinity College. It was raining again, of course, but it was still fun. We had quite the Irish College kid give us a very thorough tour. We think he thought a lot of himself with his sunglasses (in the rain), scarf, and tweed jacket on. I guess you're making it big at Trinity when you get to lead the tours. That campus is really pretty and really old. It's amazing how some of the schools over here have lasted such a long time. At the end of the tour we got to go see the Book of Kells. I didn't know much about it, but learned that it is a priceless artifact that Trinity has had in their possession for a long time. It dates back to the Dark Ages and is an original record of the 4 Gospels. We actually got to see the book which was a really cool experience. It was in surprisingly great condition too. To exit we walked through their library that contains over 200,000 books! Ridiculous, and all organized by size! How funny. I would have loved to spend time in there looking at all of them. When we were through we had burgers again. Haha, we decided we need to get all the good beef we could because we probably wouldn't get it again until we were home. This time we ate at Gourmet Burger. It was scrumptious. From there we picked up our bags at the hotel, took the bus to the airport, and checked in without any problems. We were waiting to board the plane an hour early (Dad you should be so proud)! The flight home was another quick one, and we were back in London at the Center in no time at all.


I had the best time over our 4 day vacation!
P.S. I Love You Ireland!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment