Sunday, November 1, 2009

P.S. I Love You Ireland, Day 3


Day 3, The Cliffs of Moher

Today was probably my favorite day in Ireland. We decided that after experiencing the countryside we would experience an entirely different side of the country, the coast. We got up at 6:15am and were out the door by 6:30am to get to the tour's starting point on time. It was dark outside when we left and after a few wrong turns we finally found the place we were looking for...Paddy Wagon Tours! We boarded a bright green bus (truly) and had a 4 hour drive to sleep. When we woke up we were pulling up to the Cliffs of Moher. This was an amazing sight. These cliffs range from 400-700 feet tall and were honestly spectacular. I don't think I'd ever get tired of staring at them. They amazed me. They're just so massive and endless and beautiful. The three of us had fun taking pictures from about every angle. Catherine even decided to break the rules (of course) and climb over the restricted wall to take a picture. I told her if she got blown off the edge it wasn't my problem.


These cliffs were also cool because a few movies have been filmed here. The first one is The Princess Bride. In the scene when they are literally scaling the cliffs it was these cliffs where this happened. Very cool. However, the second movie was even cooler. A scene from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was also filmed here! The cave that Harry and Dumbledore go to to retrieve the Horcrux is part of these cliffs. (And if you have no idea what that sentence meant don't worry.) I could see it perfectly from our view. Being the large Harry Potter fan that I am, I was beyond excited about this. Laura's a big fan too so she shared my excitement, but I'm sorry to say that Catherine remains an anti-HP fan and hasn't even seen the movie. So disappointing. However, despite her lack of Harry Potter love it did not take away from my eternal devotion to it.
                         



When it was time to leave the cliffs I sadly said goodbye. They really were one of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life. I'm so glad we decided to go there. Anyways, we hopped on our bright green bus and drove to a small town for lunch. We were hoping for some fish and chips, but didn't get our wish. I just had some vegetable soup that was actually really good. We all felt satisfied as we headed to our last stop, the Burren. This is a karst-landscape that expands for miles. It's right on the coast and was also an amazing sight. We were just given a short time there, but definitely made the most of it. I made my way toward the water and enjoyed admiring the view. You could see the cliffs in the distance and they told us that if you started swimming you would eventually make it to America, so I yelled "Hello" across the Atlantic Ocean. Did you hear me?


From there it was a long and painful drive back to Dublin. I couldn't fall asleep and I was getting pretty hungry. However, we did eventually make it back and decided to go for some good American food...a burger. Luckily we found just the place--Eddie Rockets. We walked in and I swear I was in Ruby's Diner. They sat us down in a booth, had some American tunes going, and served me a delicious cheeseburger. So delicious. It was a great way to finish off the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment